Hotel Osborne, Peppermint Grove, Perth, Western Australia
|Collections||Intercolonial Investment, Land & Building Company Limited|
|Date created:||Between 1895 and 1901|
Photograph of a large brick building with arched verandahs, balustrades, Dutch scalloped gables and a square tower surmounted by a mansard roof. At all levels of the building guests occupy balconies that are guarded by various types of railing, including iron lace and diagonal cross fretwork. The surrounding gardens are furnished with benches and sun shelters, and are planted with young palms and grasstrees. The Osborne was built in 1895 by the Grave family near where the Osborne Steps give access to the Swan River and the Osborne jetty. It was a very popular holiday destination in the 1890s, but in 1901 was taken over by the Loreto Convent and later became part of the premises of the Western Australia International College.
|Location:||Bindaring Parade, Peppermint Grove, Perth, Western Australia|
Ansley Street, Peppermint Grove, Perth, Western Australia