Professor JC Jaeger
|Date created:||circa 1960s|
In 1952 Jaeger was appointed to the foundation chair of geophysics in the Research School of Physical Sciences at the Australian National University, Canberra. Right from the beginning Jaeger had set about developing a centre of international standing in the solid-earth sciences and the Research School of Earth Sciences was established at the University in 1973, shortly after his retirement. The core of this school represented the body of activities Jaeger had fostered in geophysics and geochemistry. Jaeger was elected to fellowships of the Australian Academy of Science (1954) and the Royal Society, London (1970); he was awarded an honorary doctorate of science (1975) by the University of Tasmania; he and Cook shared the Rock Mechanics award of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and Petroleum Engineers in 1969; and Jaeger gave the Rankine lecture to the British Geotechnical Society in 1971. In 1963-65 he had acted as head of the School of Physical Sciences. Jaeger retired in December 1972.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.