Banner of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers, Blacksmiths, Fitters, Patternmakers, Turners & Machinists, Ballarat Branch
|Title:||Banner of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers, Blacksmiths, Fitters, Patternmakers, Turners & Machinists, Ballarat Branch|
|Author(s):||Artists: Kift & Smith|
|Series/Report no.:||Framed photographs of Trade Union banners, the originals of which are held in the Museum of Victoria|
Established in 1851, the original Amalgamated Engineering Union was merely a branch of the British union. In 1905 it was registered under the new Commonwealth industrial relations laws and became known as the Amalgamated Society of Engineers. In 1921 the union changed its name to the Amalgamated Engineering Union, Australian Section to more accurately reflect its association with the British Amalgamated Engineering Union.