The old Magnetometer Hut on the northern side of Sullivan's Creek, Acton
|Date created:||Oct 1965|
In 1955 a wooden building was constructed on this site for the Department of Geophysics as a non-magnetic laboratory for measuring the weak remnant magnetisation of rocks. In 1958 the east-west wing was added, with a concrete extension in 1963. This 'hut' was vacated for geophysical purposes in 1964, when a new paleomagnetic laboratory was built in an old quarry on the eastern slopes of Black Mountain. The original wooden buildings were removed after 1969 and the concrete-block addition became part of the Research School of Biological Sciences.
|Location:||Canberra, Australian Capital Territory|