TSMV Manunda - Leaving port
This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University
Download (88.71 MB)
|Collections||Photographs : Ships|
|Title:||TSMV Manunda - Leaving port|
|Author(s):||Photographer: not known|
The Twin Screw Motor Vessel Manunda was built by William Beardmore and Company at Dalmuir in Scotland and was launched on 27 November 1928. Completed on 16 April 1929, she arrived in Australia in June 1929 to begin her duties on the Australian Coastal Trade, running passengers and cargo between Sydney, Fremantle, Melbourne and Cairns. The declaration of war in 1939 saw Manunda fitted out as DEMS ship (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ship), under the control of the Australian Shipping Control Board. She was converted into a hospital ship at Sydney in compliance with the Geneva Convention Regulations. Manunda was taken over by the authorities on 25 May 1940, and entered service as AHS Manunda on 22 July 1940.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.
Updated: 17 November 2022/ Responsible Officer: University Librarian/ Page Contact: Library Systems & Web Coordinator