View of Windsor Church, Windsor, New South Wales
|Collections||Elder Smith and Company|
View of St Matthew's Church in a landscape setting. The building has a tower at one end surmounted by a lantern and a cross. The church's entrance is of similar shape and in alignment with the tall narrow round headed window apertures. These alternate with a sequence of pilasters along the rectangular wall. At the near end there is a domed semicircular extruded niche. Several grave stones can be seen and a man and woman contemplate a wall plaque behind an iron fence enclosure. St Matthew's was designed by Francis Greenway in 1817, built by convict labour and consecrated by the Rev. Samuel Marsden in December 1822. It is considered Greenway's masterpiece and is the oldest Church of England church in Australia.
|Location:||Moses Street, Windsor, New South Wales|
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.