Skip navigation
Skip navigation

The Commonwealth Solar Observatory at Mount Stromlo

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University

Download (16.29 MB)


dc.contributor.authorPhotographer: not known
dc.coverage.spatialCanberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
dc.date.accessioned2013-09-11T04:27:43Z
dc.date.available2013-09-11T04:27:43Z
dc.date.createdcirca 1957
dc.identifierANUA 226-781
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1885/10434
dc.description.abstractMt Stromlo Observatory began operation as the Commonwealth Solar Observatory in 1924. During the Second World War, it was the design and prototype centre for the Australian Optical Munitions Factory. After the war, the Observatory changed from solar to stellar astronomy and was renamed The Commonwealth Observatory. In 1957 Mount Stromlo Observatory became part of the Australian National University.
dc.format.extent15cm x 20cm
dc.format.mediumphotograph
dc.format.mediumb&w
dc.language.isoen_AU
dc.relation.ispartofAustralian National University photographs
dc.relation.ispartofseriesPhotographs: people and subjects A-Z
dc.subject.otherThe Australian National University (1946 - )
dc.subject.otherResearch School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
dc.subject.otherobservatories
dc.titleThe Commonwealth Solar Observatory at Mount Stromlo
dc.typeImage
local.contributor.copyrightholderThe Australian National University
dc.rights.licenseThis image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University
CollectionsANU photographs

Download

File Description SizeFormat Image
ANUA226-781.tif16.29 MBTIFFThumbnail


Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  19 May 2020/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator