Skip navigation
Skip navigation

View of Sandhurst, old name of Bendigo, Victoria

This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.

Download (51.88 MB)

CollectionsElder Smith and Company
Date created: 1857
View of a variety of figures, animals and activities in the environs of the township of Bendigo (before 1891 - Sandhurst), with tent encampments visible in the distance. On a fence in the foreground is a notice advertising a government sale of land. The buildings include a two storeyed edifice with a veranda and a number of timber structures. The veranda roofs may be corrugated iron. The settlement features a large number of flagpoles. The people include a woman with children, a man with a coolie hat (behind the fence), a horseman and a man with a barrow. There are two bullock carts in the main street and a horsedrawn cart in the background. In 1855, when Gill sketched this scene the alluvial gold mining at Bendigo was on the decline.
Location: Bendigo, Victoria
Sandhurst, Victoria


File Description SizeFormat Image
002-882-18.tif51.88 MBTIFFThumbnail

Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.

Updated:  20 July 2017/ Responsible Officer:  University Librarian/ Page Contact:  Library Systems & Web Coordinator