View of Saint Francis Cathedral, corner of Elizabeth and Latrobe Streets, Melbourne
This image is provided for research purposes only and must not be reproduced without the prior permission of the Archives Program, Australian National University.
Download (52 MB)
|Title:||View of Saint Francis Cathedral, corner of Elizabeth and Latrobe Streets, Melbourne|
|Publisher:||Victoria illustrated., published by Sands & Kenny, Melbourne & Sydney, 1857|
|Series/Report no.:||Set of 22 images by S.T.Gill engraved as plates for the book, Victoria illustrated., published by Sands & Kenny, 1857|
Populated scene of a street corner with a church bordered by paling and iron fences. The church was built on the first government land granted to the Roman Catholics. Building on it commenced in October 1841and in October 1845 the first mass was celebrated. The architect, Samuel Jackson, designed the building in the shape of a cross. It has single buttresses, two sets of triple pinnacles either side of the entrance and a stone cross above the southern pediment. At various times the furthest gum tree on the right held a church bell. As well as the church-goers and passers-by, both men and women, there are depicted two soldiers in red coats, a horse rider, a horsedrawn open carriage, a child and a dog.
Items in Open Research are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.
Updated: 17 November 2022/ Responsible Officer: University Librarian/ Page Contact: Library Systems & Web Coordinator